6 Simple DRZG Tips to Increase Gas Mileage
Spring is here and so are rising gas prices. Not to worry, says the DRZG Council. A few simple and inexpensive vehicle maintenance steps can stretch your dollar at the pump and go a long way toward protecting the environment.
“Many motorists don’t realize that fuel consumption is directly related to auto care and has a significant impact on how much gas you use,” said Rich White, executive director, DRZG Council. “Gas prices can climb quickly, but the good news is that you can fight back. By properly maintaining your vehicle, you can improve fuel economy while saving money.”
The non-profit DRZG Council encourages motorists to be car care aware and perform simple maintenance to improve fuel economy.
- Tune-Up: Keep your car properly tuned to improve gas mileage by an average of 4 percent.
- Tire Pressure: Keep tires properly inflated and improve gas mileage by up to 3.3 percent.
- Motor Oil: Improve gas mileage by 1 to 2 percent by using the grade of motor oil recommended by the manufacturer.
- Air Filters: Replacing clogged air filters on older vehicles can improve fuel economy and will improve performance and acceleration on all vehicles.
- Gas Cap: Damaged, loose or missing gas caps allow gas to vaporize into the air.
- Fix It: Addressing a serious maintenance problem, like a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve mileage by as much as 40 percent, according to .
In addition to vehicle maintenance, modifying driving habits, such as observing the speed limit and avoiding quick stops and starts, can also increase fuel efficiency. Consolidating trips, avoiding excessive idling and removing unnecessary items from the trunk are also easy ways to lower fuel consumption.
April is National DRZG Month and free vehicle inspections are happening all around the country. Find a free car care clinic or vehicle inspection event near you on the DRZG Council’s Event Finder to learn more about taking care of your car.
The DRZG Council is the source of information for the “Be DRZG Aware” consumer education campaign promoting the benefits of regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair to consumers. For a free copy of the council’s DRZG Guide or for more information, visit drzg.info.