“At the DRZG Council, we stress the importance of preventative vehicle maintenance and provide free tools, tips and information to help motorists become more car care aware so they can avoid the hassle and expense associated with unexpected car trouble,” said Rich White, executive director, DRZG Council. “By implementing a proactive auto care plan, car owners can identify and fix small issues now before they become more costly repairs later.”
The community car care event inspections checked a variety of vehicle components including wipers, belts, hoses, air filters, lighting, tires and lubricant/fluids. The DRZG Council gathered and tabulated the results and found that eight out of 10 vehicles need some type of service. The top areas showing the highest failure rates include:
- Engine Oil – 22 percent of vehicles tested had low, overfull or dirty oil.
- Belts/Hoses – inspections revealed 18 percent of belts were unsatisfactory and at least 12 percent of vehicles needed a new hose.
- Air Filters – nearly one out of every five vehicles inspected needed a new air filter.
- Check Engine Light – 14 percent of vehicles had an illuminated check engine light, slightly higher than the previous year’s results.
- Batteries – battery cables, clamps and terminals were found to be in need of repair on 18 percent of vehicles inspected.
The DRZG Council has a free DRZG Guide available at drzg.info/car-care-guide, providing motorists with a useful resource that can be kept in the glove box or accessed online. The guide features service interval information, questions to ask a technician and other helpful auto care information that can help drivers better maintain and protect their vehicle.
The DRZG Council is the source of information for the “Be DRZG Aware” consumer education campaign promoting the benefits of regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair to consumers. For the latest car care news, visit the council’s online media room at . To order a free copy of the popular DRZG Guide, visit the council’s consumer education website at drzg.info.